15th WCG Birthday Challenge

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
24+ hours in we're holding 17th. Not too bad, and there's been a fair amount of movement around us. Most of the bunkers should be in by now so we should see who's really got the horsepower. :USA:

cyberboxster

USA team member
24+ hours in we're holding 17th. Not too bad, and there's been a fair amount of movement around us. Most of the bunkers should be in by now so we should see who's really got the horsepower. :USA:

I generated 728,115 points yesterday, but my servers are still getting spun up. I think I can average 2,000,000 points/day in a day or two.

Last edited:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I generated 728,115 points yesterday, but my servers are still getting spun up. I think I can average 2,000,000 points/day in a day or two.
That should definitely be good for a couple ranks. :woot:

I received a PM yesterday at SETI which reminded me: Make sure to OPT IN for your credits to export or they won't count in the team total. :eek:

Log into your WCG account. Settings -> Data Sharing -> Display My Data. The device options below shouldn't matter, I have mine on Do Not Link and my stats are exporting.

cyberboxster

USA team member
That should definitely be good for a couple ranks. :woot:

I received a PM yesterday at SETI which reminded me: Make sure to OPT IN for your credits to export or they won't count in the team total. :eek:

Log into your WCG account. Settings -> Data Sharing -> Display My Data. The device options below shouldn't matter, I have mine on Do Not Link and my stats are exporting.

Verified mine is set correctly. Just hit 1,856,071 points for today.

supdood

USA team member
Great work so far everyone! We are making steady gains against a couple of the teams ahead of us, and if we can keep up this pace we should catch them before the end of the competition.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
We're getting a little more production each day, hopefully that trend continues. I was hoping for top 20 and that seems guaranteed. (y)

doneske

USA team member
Sometimes you have to be familiar with the work to get the most out of a challenge like this. If one doesn't do much work at WCG you won't know which work unit works best during a challenge. Example: the old reliable work like ZIKA and SCC aren't being given out due to ZIKA ending and SCC being paused. MCM is probably the next best but is dual redundancy so work won't validate right away so it won't count in the score. I went from 0 to 1005 WUs pending validation and they are just now starting to validate as slower "wingmen" return results. It usually takes about three days to start leveling off where one returns and one validates. MIP is very L3 cache heavy and running too many can slow the work tremendously. They have decided to pause FAHB as of yesterday and HSTB along with ARP1 don't have many WUs. In summary, this probably wasn't a good time to run this challenge as a lot of work is either paused, ended, or still in ramp-up stage. However, each team is in the same situation...

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
It's not the first time work has been spotty during a challenge. As you say all teams should be affected equally. I noticed these quirks early, I found I can run MIP without to much slowdown although I'm sure there is some impact. I'm running all Xeons this time with fairly high L3 cache.

The relatively low number of projects available on WCG now is a bit of a concern for the WCG's future though.

[edit] I forgot to say, we're finally in 15th! We should be able to move up at least one more spot unless someone is sandbagging. :USA:[/edit]

doneske

USA team member
The uptick in production may be the result of the MCM work starting to validate. I know my point count has increased in the last 24 hours. If I run full MIP on my machines, they will slow from about 4 hours to almost 9 hours. That's true even on the EPYC server that has 256MB of L3 cache per processor. Had to increase the memory on the EPYC server to 256GB to accomodate MIP and FAHB. I reported an anomoly to the WCG techs where the virtual and real memory allocation rises significantly as the memory size increases. They indicated they hadn't seen that but don't test on machines that are that large. I can't do as much in this challenge as I'm bogged down with long running CPDN work. WCG has always had about 5 to 7 projects ongoing since it's inception in 2004. The only project that has ended is the ZIKA project. SCC has more work coming, FAHB also has more work coming, they have 2 more climate projects in the works that haven't been rolled out yet, and MCM has started alpha testing of sarcoma WUs and ARP1 is just now ramping up. The challenge just hit during a transition phase

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Interesting. I noticed early on that MIP wasn't scaling as well as I expected, and that's when I saw mention of the L3 problem. However, they still run faster than FAH and MCM jobs on my machines, on average. There's quite a variance in run times. E.g. looking at task history on #2 I have 5 hours on the high end (most are not nearly that long that long) and 43 minutes on the low end (that's very rare). That's 6 threads on a 4 / 8 processor. My other machines are 8 / 16, and are basically the same except for the amount of RAM and the test bench is on Win10. #1 is running 12 / 16 threads and the test system 15 / 16. Run times are about the same, just over an hour on the low and around 4 hours on the high end. FAH and MCM were around 4 hours minimum. #1 would probably perform better without the GPU load.

Anyway, we're in 14th now which is great! :USA:

supdood

USA team member
A bit over a day remaining and we are solidifying our position in 14th. Great work so far everyone! We are still somewhat vulnerable if one of the teams directly behind us has a multi-million-point second bunker to release, but we are adding to our advantage each hour.
Keep it up.:USA:

Vester

USA team member
I'm glad you posted. My desktop computer is passively cooled and totally quiet. I have tinnitus that comes and goes, and I was sitting here thinking that this is the first time I've heard fans whirring instead of tree frogs. You reminded me that I should check the queue on the laptop across the room. When I did, I found the source of the fan noise. :)

doneske

USA team member
I'm dropping out of the challenge as I can't get any help from the WCG techs concerning copious transient HTTP errors trying to access any website named *.worldcommunitygrid.org. CPDN works fine and uploads 120MB files in about 6 seconds. When these transfers "hang up" it stops further downloads and machines run dry. Spending waaaaay too much time baby-sitting this project. I experienced this type of problem before about a year or so ago and it was eventually traced to one of their load balancers and it was like pulling teeth to get help back then too. Is there another CPU project out there that the team could use a little boost on?

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I'm dropping out of the challenge as I can't get any help from the WCG techs concerning copious transient HTTP errors trying to access any website named *.worldcommunitygrid.org. CPDN works fine and uploads 120MB files in about 6 seconds. When these transfers "hang up" it stops further downloads and machines run dry. Spending waaaaay too much time baby-sitting this project. I experienced this type of problem before about a year or so ago and it was eventually traced to one of their load balancers and it was like pulling teeth to get help back then too. Is there another CPU project out there that the team could use a little boost on?
That's a bummer. Universe, Asteroids and Cosmology come to mind. Universe seems to run pretty well. Asteroids has a work shortage right now, not unusual. Cosmology is best run using VirtualBox, that might not scale well for you.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
The WCG 15th Birthday Challenge is over. We finished in 15th out of 89 registered teams, 86 of which actually participated.

Event total points: 1,439,179,468
USA total points: 34,341,580

Individual stats were not tracked.

We returned around 2.4% of the total. Snurk and Friends nudged past us at the end to retake 14th by 513,012 points. XtremeSystems finished first with an amazing 233,961,080 points, 16% of the total output.

Thanks to everyone who participated, and congratulations! We were up against some strong teams so this is a great result.

Remember, due to the GDPR you need to explicitly allow your stats to export for them to count in the team totals. If you're no longer crunching please take a moment to do this so your historical contribution is included. After logging in to your WCG account:

Settings (at the upper right above the IBM logo) -> Data Sharing (left side of the page) -> Display My Data, then Save.

Many projects are requiring you to allow stat export, so check each one you're attached to if you want your stats to count in the team totals.