AMD RDNA chips for mining...good news for GPU BOINC projects

Vester

USA team member
AMD RDNA Mining GPUs Could be on the Horizon.
Going back to the older RDNA1 architecture could save time, resources, and development costs compared to an RDNA2 solution, especially in the midst of today's graphics card shortage. Besides which, cryptomining doesn't generally benefit from the Infinity Cache used in RDNA2, and definitely doesn't need the ray tracing hardware.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I'm not sure if these mining-only cards, Nvidia included, are going to help or make things worse. I've heard there's a worldwide general silicon shortage which is affecting all kinds of things including automobile production. If they can make these from subpar or low yield wafers maybe it will help, otherwise it seems to me this is just additional demand for an already strained resource. I saw today MicroCenter has the old RX 570 cards listed for $350 which is ridiculous. :ROFLMAO:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Seems like I posted this somewhere else on here, but I recently saw RX 570 cards listed at MicroCenter for 349. MSRP at launch for those was around $180 and you could usually get them for less. I paid around $150 for my RX 590! They sold out in a few days. The pc parts market is completely insane right now, I'm tempted to sell off my 2080 Ti fleet and upgrade when prices settle down.