Coronavirus COVID-19 Projects

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Here's a list of projects you can crunch that are involved in research related to the current coronavirus COVID-19 infection. I'll try to keep this updated. We are actively crunching all of these, don't forget to join the team if you are new. :USA:

ProjectCOVID-19
Focus
App
Rosetta@HomeDirect, but multiple projects are ongoing and you cannot exclusively select it.CPU
Folding@HomeDirect, but multiple projects are ongoing and you cannot exclusively select it. Our team ID = 236370.*CPU / GPU (both Nvidia and AMD are supported)
TN-GridIndirect.CPU (AVX apps are available, keep an eye on your CPU temps)
GPUGridComing soon!Nvidia GPU only
Ralph@HomeThis is a beta test project for Rosetta@Home. There are specific COVID-19 work units: "This version contains updated protocols for protein interface design necessary for COVID-19 research among many additional updates and protocols added to Rosetta since the last update. " As with other projects you cannot exclusively select it, and work probably won't be continuous.CPU (Android apps are available but may not be COVID-19 related)
BOINC@TACCDirect, but multiple projects are ongoing and you cannot exclusively select it. This is supposed to be the primary focus now, ending 4-6-2020.CPU. Requires VirtualBox, a 64-bit operating system and a CPU supporting VT-x (Intel) or AMD-V (AMD) instruction set.
World Community Grid"...this project's main goals are:
  • Search for potential treatments for COVID-19.
  • Develop additional open-source drug discovery tools and processes that can be quickly deployed to address future pandemics and epidemics."
This is an upcoming ALPHA project. Join our World Community Grid team here and don't forget to opt-in for your stats to count.
CPU. Windows, Linux or Mac only.

Our friends @TheBoinc pointed out that you can also play the foldit game and help researchers!

Also via @TheBoinc: Eterna is starting COVID-19 efforts. This is the first I heard of this project, it looks similar to Foldit but is geared towards RNA research.

*3/19/2020: At this time Folding@Home work is very difficult to get because so many machines have attached. Work creation, assignment and uploads are all severely impacted, the servers are overwhelmed.
*3/29/2020: Work seems to have stabilized somewhat, I'm getting work more consistently the last couple days although not continuously.

Last edited:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Just got a whack of TACC jobs, multi-threaded VB work. If you're running these make sure you have Virtualization enabled in your BIOS / UEFI.

doneske

USA team member
Last time I ran TACC jobs they required about 8GB memory and were set to use 4 cores. They usually ran about 5 minutes each. Are they still the same? I believe their problem with lack of jobs was due to the restrictive nature of their BOINC requirements. Not very many researchers had jobs that would fit in the requirements.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
They're still using 4 cores and I think run time is about the same, they run a bit longer on my system. Memory is around 120-130 megs from what I can tell, BUT there was batch of bad jobs with corrupt or missing files and I'm working through those now. REAL work should probably take more. I don't feel like looking through client_state right now but BOINCTasks shows 3.1 gigs allocated, so I expect that's the real use or at least what BOINC expects it to be.

There are reports of problems with VirtualBox 6.1.4 on Linux. It's working fine on Windoze 10.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
BOINC@TACC work seems to be mostly faulty. I had a few tasks that ran almost 2 hours, showed no sign of CPU activity but still validated. I had a bunch that ran less than 2 minutes, pretty sure nothing of value was achieved but they also validated. The admin seems happy though so maybe it's working as it should after all.

doneske

USA team member
BOINC@TACC is an interesting project. My impression is there are only 2 people supporting the BOINC infrastructure and they aren't very knowledgeable about BOINC. For some reason they think 1000 or maybe even 5000 jobs is a lot when in reality that is a BOINC test site. I stll say their BOINC requirements are too low based on what I read in there researcher's guide. I'n having a difficult time understanding why one would want to run that small of a job in VirtualBox. The overhead of VB drowns out the actual work.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I'm working through another batch now and these are mostly running 15-20 minutes, using 4 threads which seems more reasonable. This seems like an interesting project with a lot of potential, but I hope in the future we can get the stats exported.

doneske

USA team member
I wouldn't put too much hope into that, at least anywhere in the near term. They seem like they are clueless with even some of the simplest BOINC server options but I guess that's true with some other projects also...

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I wouldn't put too much hope into that, at least anywhere in the near term. They seem like they are clueless with even some of the simplest BOINC server options but I guess that's true with some other projects also...
I think it's been about a year since it was first asked about, so yeah my expectations are pretty low. :LOL: