Hello!

RONNIE

USA team member
Hello! I've been crunching for some time and now I'm deeply honored to be part of this great team!

I'm mainly interested in projects focused in improving human health and so I've chosen: Rosetta@home and World Community Grid (COVID-19, Microbiome, Help Stop TB, Mapping Cancer Markers and Smash Childhood Cancer). Let me put it this way: we win and all virus lose! :)

I've just started to read some forum messages, but I'm already looking forward to help making BOINC (and Our Team, of course) way more popular than it is now!
By the way, who is our Captain? Dr. Bob? Nick Name?

Go, USA! One Nation Under God - indivisible! :USA:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Welcome to the forum and team, glad to have you with us. You've joined us at a great time, I've been promoting our efforts in these areas on Twitter. We also have a Folding@Home team now, just started a few months ago. Hopefully you've seen our Covid19 page and our general HHD (Human Health and Disease) page.

I'm the captain/founder, DrBob asked me to take over last year because of family obligations.

RONNIE

USA team member
I have an ambiguous feeling about Folding@home... On one hand, of course it seems to be an awesome project which is becoming increasingly popular. On the other hand, wouldn't it be even better if they were using Boinc instead of their own software?
What if more and more Boinc users decide to stop using Boinc and move for using only Folding@home software? It would be sad, cause there are already other projects equally important as folding (and possibly there will be even more in the future).
Also, I think in near future, some operating systems (for mobile devices or not) could came with Boinc software installed by default (and the user could choose to configure it, stop it or uninstall it). But if Folding@home become the prefered option...
I am probably arriving late in this discussion and perhaps there's nothing we can do about this now... Anyway, at this moment my GPUs aren't being used, and if our Captain prefers, I can start using Folding@home software immediately! :USA:

BeauZaux

USA team member
All my CPUs are on BOINC (mostly health, some astronomy) and all my GPUs are on FAH until this COVID-19 settles down. I leave one core open for each GPU, plus one for system. Oh, I use short PrimeGrid WUs to test GPU's from time to time. Otherwise, not much into numbers projects.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I have an ambiguous feeling about Folding@home... On one hand, of course it seems to be an awesome project which is becoming increasingly popular. On the other hand, wouldn't it be even better if they were using Boinc instead of their own software?
What if more and more Boinc users decide to stop using Boinc and move for using only Folding@home software? It would be sad, cause there are already other projects equally important as folding (and possibly there will be even more in the future).
Also, I think in near future, some operating systems (for mobile devices or not) could came with Boinc software installed by default (and the user could choose to configure it, stop it or uninstall it). But if Folding@home become the prefered option...
I am probably arriving late in this discussion and perhaps there's nothing we can do about this now... Anyway, at this moment my GPUs aren't being used, and if our Captain prefers, I can start using Folding@home software immediately! :USA:
BOINC and F@H should be viewed as complementary, not competing projects, although it's admittedly difficult for most to support both. There weren't any BOINC projects doing specific COVID19 research when I started the team. You can run both together although it works best if you do only CPU or GPU, not both. It would be nice if F@H worked under BOINC, efforts were made in that direction years ago but it didn't pan out. I think some folks are looking at it again, but I doubt anything will come of it.

I've encouraged folks to crunch various projects but the team's general philosophy has always been "Your machines, your projects". Since you're paying the bill you should crunch what you want based on your interests.

RONNIE

USA team member
"Your machines, your projects": sounds good! I think I will give F@H a chance starting next week.