Humor me...I talk to myself

Jason Jung

USA team member
AT&T Fiber around me isn't great. Instead of offering a basic media converter or SFP we are forced to use the most garbage tier gateway that can only handle something like 512 connections. A single user scrolling Reddit too quickly can make it crumble. Even business customers are subjected to the crappy gateway so it's not super popular here. On the bright side some of the larger commercial/industrial spaces have access to fiber from other companies and 940/35 cable is available even in the poorer neighborhoods.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Spectrum (cable) is the only option around here for significant speed. I believe the top residential is 200mbps. A few years ago AT&T laid fiber down both sides of the road and I thought there might actually be some competition, but their price for their speed is terrible. The guy who ran it through my yard said my side of the road was going to be dark, it was just for backup. :(

Vester

USA team member
I added a LAN cable from the Upcountry Fiber wireless/4 port router to my desktop computer to get 950Mbps because the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz wireless adapter was getting under 500 Mbps at 30 feet and two walls from the router. Pam's computer gets under 100 Mbps.

My iPhone 11 Pro allowed me to do a check at my computer and six feet from the router: 358/164Mbps down/up by my computer and 564/557Mbps down/up near the router.

Practically speaking, I could do with 500Mbps service and save $15 a month, but it sure is fun to download a CD load of data in a few seconds.

I don't believe anyone can tell a difference just surfing the internet between 50Mbps and 950Mbps.

Vester

USA team member
With World Community Grid down so long, I have begun to like Rosetta@Home again. I even switched to Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon (Edge) Edition. Rosetta@Home is easy on my hardware, and I can run at 5.1GHz while maintaining CPU temperatures below 70 C. Team USA is 10th in the statistics.

The Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon (Edge) Edition is for newer computers. I downloaded BOINC with VirtualBox using Synaptic Package Manager, and it runs well. My computer has a Z590 AORUS PRO AX motherboard, Intel Core i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistic DDR4 3200MHz RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 980 Pro NVMe drive, an old 1000Watt OCZ ZX Series power supply, and a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360 AIO cooler.

Last edited:

doneske

USA team member
I was running Rosetta week before last and kept running into a problem with the wrapper losing communication with VirtualBox if I ran more than about 3 or 4 at the same time or if I tried to fill the unused threads with Number Fields. Kept getting the message about it being unmanageable. It also seemed to happen towards the end of the run for some reason. A simple restart of the BOINC client restarts the tasks and they usually finish within about a hour or less. LHC uses VirtualBox and I didn't run into that problem with those tasks. I think there was an updated wrapper available that addresses the problem but it requires the project to make the change. When I get back in town, I may try it again and work with it a little

Vester

USA team member
Doneske, the problems persist, and I have to restart my computer to get a full queue sometimes.

Vester

USA team member
After a restart yesterday, my BOINC Manager is working properly. I have a task that has been running for three days!

Vester

USA team member
It ran for 4 days and 10 hours. It was up to 99.999% but had exceeded its deadline. I had three others that were headed for long running times. I was disgusted and removed the project. I added World Community Grid (WCG). WCG had some tasks distributed early today, but I didn't get any.

The BOINC Manager problems at Rosetta only affected my Linux Mint Edge Edition. I had no issues with Rosetta on Windows 11.

Vester

USA team member
Well, Vester, not so fast! I'm folding@home with BOINC WCG running and catching work when available.

Vester

USA team member
I just scored an Nvidia Titan X on eBay for $281.70 including tax and shipping.

Last edited:

Vester

USA team member
I hate to admit it, but I had been shopping on eBay for a Titan V and found one that I was ready to buy. As you know, eBay will toss in a similar item at the bottom of the page, and I fell for it. Don't tell my wife. :D

Vester

USA team member
The pig in a poke Titan X arrived today. I got somewhat lucky, because it is an NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal. I am still figuring it out, but the GPU is running at about 1800MHz under 92% load, about 180Watts. I had to change the fan profile in MSI Afterburner, but the GPU temperature is 62C with fan speed at 75% while running Folding@home. FP32 performance is 10.97 TFLOPS compared to the Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X's 4.709 TFLOPS.

You can compare Titans at TechPowerUp in this table.

You can see my HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner numbers on Facebook here. This photo is of two tabs of GPU-Z.

Last edited: