Humor me...I talk to myself

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I can hardly believe I am getting points on a project when the CPU is hardly running (under 10%), but the RAM is nearly maxed out. I am talking about LHC@home's CMS tasks. If you have a fast Internet connection with unlimited bandwidth and lots of RAM, this could be the project for you.
I haven't looked for awhile but isn't CMS virtual machine work? Most of those types of tasks do need a lot of RAM.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Yes. (I said bandwidth instead of unlimited data. :rolleyes:)
Ok. I recall now that I had major issues with their work because the VM jobs were literally contacting various servers around the world. At the time I had a ton of jobs failing and traced it to this. It was impossible to tell if a server was down or just temporarily unavailable, or some other network issue was the cause. Since I couldn't determine or fix the problem I only run the SixTrack tasks now. That was a few years ago.

Vester

USA team member
The VM Rosetta@home tasks seemed "fragile" and would suddenly increase the RAM committed, as much as 10.1GB for a single task including Windows 10 processes. Each task supposedly requires about 3.4GB, but I was unable to reliably use more than 16GB RAM total of 32GB. Even then, I experienced mysterious sporadic failures. I may try VM again in the future, but I have gone back to WCG.