Humor me...I talk to myself

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Things are finally settling down, Nvidia 30xx cards are finally in stock. We've a ways to go to get back to MSRP on them though.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I forgot about the tariffs. There are some open box deals listed locally, it's the first time I've seen that in many months. Maybe over a year.

Jason Jung

USA team member
"The Biden administration is temporarily lifting the Trump-era tariffs on PC graphics cards imported from China, which might provide some pricing relief for GPU buyers."

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Interesting.
The exclusions will last until Dec. 31, 2022. They're also retroactive and apply to qualifying imports dating back on Oct. 12, 2021.
In effect it's suspended for a year. I have my doubts prices will drop that much, unless the price of gas keeps going up like it has. :LOL:

Vester

USA team member
The world needs a computer project to work on avoiding war. It would the maximal minimax project, and I would name it after John Nash.

Vester

USA team member
There is a coil of fiber optic cable on the power pole at the corner of our lot just waiting for installation in our home at some date in the near future. I have already requested the 1 Gbps service from Upcountry Fiber. In the last 14 years we have gone from 1.5 Mbps ADSL, 3.0 Mbps, 12 Mbps, and 50 Mbps to 1000 Mbps. The sad part is that my son in Japan said that there were small Pacific islands that had 1 Gbps in 2007. This is what REGULATIONS can do for a country.

Vester

USA team member
I cleaned my computer and desk today. What a mess of dust!

The 66 pound Dell PowerEdge T420 tower server is in a recycling center. Goodbye 12 cores at 2.5 Ghz. I hope to never have a tower server in my house again. It was a workhorse, but it was huge and in the way.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
There is a coil of fiber optic cable on the power pole at the corner of our lot just waiting for installation in our home at some date in the near future. I have already requested the 1 Gbps service from Upcountry Fiber. In the last 14 years we have gone from 1.5 Mbps ADSL, 3.0 Mbps, 12 Mbps, and 50 Mbps to 1000 Mbps. The sad part is that my son in Japan said that there were small Pacific islands that had 1 Gbps in 2007. This is what REGULATIONS can do for a country.
Lucky you. The options here are Spectrum cable which tops out at 200mbps and AT&T. They laid fiber down both sides of the road a few years ago but the advertised speeds are still low compared to Spectrum. I actually need to call Spectrum and complain about pricing. They're sending me flyers in the mail which tell me I'm paying more than 2x the price a new customer would pay. :cautious:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I cleaned my computer and desk today. What a mess of dust!

The 66 pound Dell PowerEdge T420 tower server is in a recycling center. Goodbye 12 cores at 2.5 Ghz. I hope to never have a tower server in my house again. It was a workhorse, but it was huge and in the way.
I need to do this, I haven't seriously cleaned anything for probably 2 years. :LOL:

doneske

USA team member
About 5 years ago, my daughter called me and said her computer keeps shutting down unexpectedly and eventually got to the point it wouldn't power up without giving an error. I had her bring me the PC because, if anything was broken, I probably had parts at the house to fix the problem. As soon as I took the front panel off, a clump of cat hair fell out on the workbench. The cooling fan was so packed with cat hair (she had 3 cats at the time) it wouldn't turn. That's why it wouldn't boot up. It was giving a fan error indication. Prior to that it is was turning but not enough to provide adequate cooling so it would shutdown on her. Needless to say, she is a little more judicious about cleaning her system out now. Moral of the story: Don't own cats...:ROFLMAO:

Vester

USA team member
Today I finished cleaning the "computer room" which has four dog crates in it. I didn't have any dog hair in my computers, but there was plenty in the vacuum cleaner. :) I repair computers for friends and family. I've found a few "broken" desktops and laptops with dirty heatsinks. When I encounter a laptop that won't boot, I remove the battery and press and hold the power button to clear CMOS. I've fixed numerous laptops that way. My friends and family should appreciate that I only charge for parts!

doneske

USA team member
I don't know if all the 1 Gbps fiber installs are the same but what I liked about mine was the guaranteed speed and sysmetric architecture. Once the install was completed I realized that there a few of my older servers that still had 100 Mbps ports. Had to fix those. I also ran into router issues with an older router that had a processor that couldn't handle the speed. Don't know why but the service provider router/modem that was installed caused WCG to become unavailable. I worked with the service provider to put their router function in pass-through mode and let my router do the routing. You don't realize how big a jump that is until all your old hardware stops working. When I upgraded one of my Linux installations (downloaded almost 1800 packages) the screen rolled so fast I couldn't read the text.

Vester

USA team member
Thanks for the heads-up about WCG. I'll have to test with NSF@Home until WCG exists again. Mine will be symmetric, and I look forward to seeing what hardware they are using.

Gandolph1

USA team member
Thanks for the heads-up about WCG. I'll have to test with NSF@Home until WCG exists again. Mine will be symmetric, and I look forward to seeing what hardware they are using.
You guys are KILLING me here in 50meg asymmetric VDSL land......:cry:
:cry: