Humor me...I talk to myself

Vester

USA team member
I proved conclusively today that one of my Radeon HD 7990s will not run on an Antec 500 watt power supply when the computer is running onboard graphics. It started and ran Windows fine without MilkyWay running, but let the GPUs get loaded and bam! another restart. The sad part is that I discarded a 650 watt power supply to make space in my tool room.

Vester

USA team member
I have two coffee mugs on my computer desk. One has USB flash drives in it, the other has pens, pencils, a pair of scissors, an X-acto knife, and occasionally a paper clip. I cannot explain why my USB flash drive cup got to the right side of my desk or how I managed to drop a USB flash drive into my thermal mug of coffee. That flash drive is history.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I proved conclusively today that one of my Radeon HD 7990s will not run on an Antec 500 watt power supply when the computer is running onboard graphics. It started and ran Windows fine without MilkyWay running, but let the GPUs get loaded and bam! another restart. The sad part is that I discarded a 650 watt power supply to make space in my tool room.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought the IGPU would use enough power to to cause that. Are you certain it's that and not some kind of driver problem?

Too bad about the flash drive, hopefully there wasn't any important data on it.

Jason Jung

USA team member
The Radeon HD 7990 can peak at over 400W on it's own. A PSU like the Antec VP500P PLUS (just guessing the model) only offers 456W from the 12V rail. I would be afraid of using such a small power supply with that card.

Vester

USA team member
Thanks, Jason, I knew it would be close. I was playing around with my old desktop that runs an HD 7790 (one six pin connector) to see if it would work while I wait for two more PCIe 6+2 cables for my mining rig. BTW, my Kill-a-Watt meter shows 560 to 640W input power to an OCZ ZX 1000W power supply that is powering two Radeon HD 7990s only. Using that logic, I thought 320W for the video card would allow overhead for the Intel Core2 Duo (Q6600) and one case fan. I wasn't sure if it would run on two six pin connectors using the MSI supplied six to 8 pin adapters, either.

Nick Name, the flash drive only had a Ubuntu on it for installations. For a man like me, OneDrive is a lifesaver.

Vester

USA team member
When all else fails, ask AMD..
1.1.1 Requirements for Single-card Installations Minimum requirements for installing a single AMD Radeon HD 7990 graphics card:
• PCI Express® based PC is required with one ×16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
• 750-watt or better power supply with two 150-watt 8-pin PCIe® power connectors

Last edited:

Vester

USA team member
I am bummed because a relative was supposed to bring a broken server to me for data recovery today. I was so ready! I was also wanting to see if I could fix the server because it probably has not been cleaned in YEARS. :)

Vester

USA team member
Jason Jung, I have conclusively proven that my 1250 watt power supply will not power three Radeon HD 7990s. The Kill-a-Watt meter was indicating an input load of 1100 watts. The power supply stopped on either high temperature or current overload after about ten minutes. It does a great job on two video cards and the motherboard. The 1000 watt power supply is used for two more video cards.

Conclusion: The fifth video card will be a spare until I get another power supply.

Vester

USA team member
The downtime at Milkyway@home was used sorting my computer while running PrimeGrid. If you haven't tried it, PrimeGrid is a major stress test for video cards. I reseated heat sinks on eight GPUs (four video cards).

Another thing I have done is kick the Radeon software to the curb and installed MSI Afterburner which is much simpler to use when eight GPUs are involved. The rig is running great.

On another front, I am getting my second COVID-19 shot tomorrow. My 78th birthday was Wednesday.

Vester

USA team member
New hardware coming! :D
Yep! A 1000W power supply for the miner (to run the 5th video card), and for the server, 16GB ECC RAM, a second processor, and a heat sink. The server will have a total of 12 cores, 24 threads for CPU projects. All parts are on the way. If I could convince my wife, a Dell computer with an nVidia RTX 3070 for $1499 would be on the way. :)

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Yep! A 1000W power supply for the miner (to run the 5th video card), and for the server, 16GB ECC RAM, a second processor, and a heat sink. The server will have a total of 12 cores, 24 threads for CPU projects. All parts are on the way. If I could convince my wife, a Dell computer with an nVidia RTX 3070 for $1499 would be on the way. :)
That's about the only way to get these newer GPUs, buy them in a system that's already built.

RONNIE

USA team member
Wonderful! Perhaps we can all sign and send a virtual card to your good wife emphasizing the great importance of this new hardware to the advancement of Science! :USA: