Humor me...I talk to myself

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I can hardly believe I am getting points on a project when the CPU is hardly running (under 10%), but the RAM is nearly maxed out. I am talking about LHC@home's CMS tasks. If you have a fast Internet connection with unlimited bandwidth and lots of RAM, this could be the project for you.
I haven't looked for awhile but isn't CMS virtual machine work? Most of those types of tasks do need a lot of RAM.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Yes. (I said bandwidth instead of unlimited data. :rolleyes:)
Ok. I recall now that I had major issues with their work because the VM jobs were literally contacting various servers around the world. At the time I had a ton of jobs failing and traced it to this. It was impossible to tell if a server was down or just temporarily unavailable, or some other network issue was the cause. Since I couldn't determine or fix the problem I only run the SixTrack tasks now. That was a few years ago.

Vester

USA team member
The VM Rosetta@home tasks seemed "fragile" and would suddenly increase the RAM committed, as much as 10.1GB for a single task including Windows 10 processes. Each task supposedly requires about 3.4GB, but I was unable to reliably use more than 16GB RAM total of 32GB. Even then, I experienced mysterious sporadic failures. I may try VM again in the future, but I have gone back to WCG.

Vester

USA team member
We are now 44th in points at WCG.

When I started at United Devices in January of 2001 (Anthrax), I had one Intel Pentium IV Willamette that managed 119 points per day. I now have 44 threads on 22 cores (two computers) which currently average 527 points per day per thread and total 23,000 points per day. For several years, my main cruncher was an AMD Athlon XP 2500 running almost 3.2GHz (overclocked). I did not run United Devices or WCG continuously, and I spent 42 months on the Find-a-Drug (Think) Project.

Last edited:

RONNIE

USA team member
We are now 44th in points at WCG.

When I started at United Devices in January of 2001 (Anthrax), I had one Intel Pentium IV Willamette that managed 119 points per day. I now have 44 threads on 22 cores (two computers) which currently average 527 points per day per thread and total 23,000 points per day. For several years, my main cruncher was an AMD Athlon XP 2500 running almost 3.2GHz (overclocked). I did not run United Devices or WCG continuously, and I spent 42 months on the Find-a-Drug (Think) Project.
Great! Now back to WCG: half MCM, half OPN.

Vester

USA team member
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves. Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us-sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
My two computers are named ANewFreedom and ANewHappiness. My inspiration is from the promises in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, pages 84 and 85 (above), and I have been sober since July of 1999.

RONNIE

USA team member
My two computers are named ANewFreedom and ANewHappiness. My inspiration is from the promises in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, pages 84 and 85 (above), and I have been sober since July of 1999.
Amazing! Congratulations! My wife had some serious alcohol problems in the past and in 2017 we decided together to stop drinking alcohol and life has really been better since then. I don't think drinking is wrong, but when someone realizes that is overreacting (and often), I believe the easiest and right option is to actually leave for good. Something that each one should evaluate, I think.

Vester

USA team member
The '58 Foundations company completed a $20,000 project to cure the moisture problem underneath our home today. I had other plans for that money, but I am allergic to three kinds of mold, and this will help me sleep better. We now have a dehumidifier in the crawl space and I can go under there without getting dirty or encountering spider crickets. It would be a good place for a mining rig. Hmmm...

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
The '58 Foundations company completed a $20,000 project to cure the moisture problem underneath our home today. I had other plans for that money, but I am allergic to three kinds of mold, and this will help me sleep better. We now have a dehumidifier in the crawl space and I can go under there without getting dirty or encountering spider crickets. It would be a good place for a mining rig. Hmmm...
That's quite a bit, but I guess worth it compared to potential health costs from mold etc. That seems like a lot of money though. What was the source for the moisture?

Vester

USA team member
Our home is lakefront on a north sloping lot. No retainer wall was built upslope from the home and natural erosion during the past 24 years has increased the grade level at the foundation. Additionally, the contractor made some mistakes with low vents, plus workmen such as the gas company compromised the foundation with low penetrations.

The price was excessive in my opinion, too, compared to the amount of work for $12,000 done by the same company to make a flooding basement dry about eight years ago. The company is having manning problems and are probably paying premium wages. An indication of that is the fact that their lead man is also an electrician.

Getting rid of mold was a side benefit. The moisture level was so high that Terminix would not treat for termites (we have none) and warranty the work because of the high humidity that existed. I want to be able to sell the home with no hassles (termite certificate required) within the next few years. The property is already valued over $400,000 and this isn't in California or in a city. We are, however, half-way between Charlotte and Atlanta.

Vester

USA team member
Remember the good old days when it was difficult to run United Devices for 24 hours straight without a Windows XP BSOD? When your AGP video card drivers were not stable? Those days? That is why today is "the good old days!"

Jason Jung

USA team member
I do like that a driver issue doesn't take the whole system down but we do sacrifice performance on Windows for that. I will never miss the days of getting an add-on card with a hundred page book you need to read and cross reference with your motherboard manual to figure out what DIP switches need to be flipped and what frequency on what whatever needs to be set in the driver to work. I'm quite grateful that plug and play was rolling out when I first encountered that nonsense.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I do like that a driver issue doesn't take the whole system down but we do sacrifice performance on Windows for that. I will never miss the days of getting an add-on card with a hundred page book you need to read and cross reference with your motherboard manual to figure out what DIP switches need to be flipped and what frequency on what whatever needs to be set in the driver to work. I'm quite grateful that plug and play was rolling out when I first encountered that nonsense.
This would be enough to put one off computing for good. :LOL:

Vester

USA team member
It seems that the server is down at https://boinc.bakerlab.org/ for Rosetta@home. (Back up after about three hours.)

I am going to the Clemson vs Boston College game today. Clemson is having problems this year, but Dabo isn't giving up on his sophomore quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei. He can't because the presumed second-string QB, Taisun Phommachanh, injured his ACL during spring practice. Maybe next year...

Last edited: