Humor me...I talk to myself

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I hate to admit it, but I had been shopping on eBay for a Titan V and found one that I was ready to buy. As you know, eBay will toss in a similar item at the bottom of the page, and I fell for it. Don't tell my wife. :D
I've gotten confused by this too. Amazon is even worse about returning things you didn't actually search for.

Vester

USA team member
With World Community Grid down for so long, I've had time to try numerous other projects. I am running just one computer with Z590 Aorus Pro AX, Intel i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix RAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 980 Pro 250GB, and an Nvidia Titan X (Pascal). Until I bought the video card a few weeks ago, I was biased for CPU only projects. Now that I have the video card, I have tried various combinations of projects.

I'll cut to the chase. I am currently running Einstein@Home. If you want to run E@H, here is the app_config.xml that I am using to run three GPU tasks at the same time.
Code:
<app_config>
<app>
<name>hsgamma_FGRP5</name>
<name>hsgamma_FGRPB1G</name>
<max_concurrent>3</max_concurrent>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.33</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.30</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

The reason I'm not running Folding@home: I do not want to sacrifice a CPU core for the Intel GPU on the motherboard, but deleting that slot is not persistent. That means I risk losing a long running CPU job as I did yesterday when I restarted my computer. The job had been running over 24 hours.

Rosetta@Home needs more than my 32GB RAM. I had to run without hyperthreading to run ten simultaneous tasks, and it still bogged down my computer.

My video card is not suitable for Milkyway@Home due to poor FP64 performance.

Loda is CPU only, and it is a good choice for someone not wanting a GPU project.

Several projects that I tried did not have work available.

Last edited:

Jason Jung

USA team member
SiDock, DENIS@home, and Universe@Home have plenty of CPU work at the moment if you are looking for more than LODA.

Edit: Most of the DENIS work is under beta so you need to enable "Run test applications?" in preferences.

Vester

USA team member
I may try DENIS again with "Run test applications" after I deplete my queue on the Windows 11 installation and boot Linux Mint Cinnamon Edge (that's a mouthful). LMCE will improve my RAC.

Vester

USA team member
I quit using the CPU for Einstein@Home because ot the LOW points awarded: Five hundred points for an 11-hour task! I'm running LODA on the CPU and Einstein on the GPU.

Edit: I reconsidered after LODA awards only 35 points for 2.5 hours.

Last edited:

Vester

USA team member
I upgraded my Linux Mint Cinnamon Edge 20.3 to Mint 21 "Vanessa" Cinnamon, and reinstalled BOINC. I am now running BOINC Manager (Pre-release) version 7.18.0 (x64). I have had issues with BOINC Manager not opening after closing just as before.

Edit: I found a work-around. 1. Open System Monitor | Processes tab. 2. Click on process "boincmgr" and then click on End Process. 3. Start the application BOINC Manager.

Last edited:

Vester

USA team member
I finished my WCG tasks that were running on Mint 21, shut down the computer, disconnected the SSD on which Mint is installed, flashed BIOS to defaults, and restarted Windows 11 on the NVMe. I am not running F@H or BOINC, and the computer power setting will allow it to sleep. The silence is nice, and at this moment I have no desire to run a distributed computing project. WCG helped me to get this point after 21 years.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I hear you on the silence. It's amazing how you get used to the sound of fans and pumps especially in a small office. I remember Krunchin' Keith saying he was not aware he had birds outside his window until he shut his systems down. Hopefully WCG will get things running smoothly and maybe the bug will bite you again. :D I'm still plodding away, at a reduced rate. I'm looking forward to fall so I can ramp back up.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
EVGA has had their problems - anyone else remember the GPUS a few years ago that didn't have the proper thermal pads? :eek: - but show me a GPU manufacturer without issues, including Nvidia. This is a big surprise to me and I'm not sure how the company survives after axing their main and best known product line.

Jason Jung

USA team member
I'm sad to see they aren't going to be making GPUs but I'm not really worried about them going away. EVGA's profit margin on GPUs is practically nothing. Power supplies are where all their profit is. It seems future top end graphics cards are going to need an ATX 3.0 PSU with the new 16-pin 12VHPWR power connector to be fully utilized. If that's the case and EVGA can get some to market quickly they may end up with even higher profits than they have now.

I personally would love to own another of their motherboards but every time I'm in the market either it is sold out or hasn't been released yet.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I can't believe I forgot about their power supplies, as that's mostly what I have. :LOL: I had one of their boards years ago and didn't have a good experience. I recall hearing a few years ago they were trying to get their board business going again so maybe they've improved.

It makes me wonder if any of these Nvidia "partners" are making any money.

Vester

USA team member
I've given up hope that WCG will be "normal" again or be able to fully utilize my GPU. I am Folding@home again.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I've considered rotating between them, or GPUGrid on some type of alternating schedule, maybe monthly. We're into colder weather here, I'll fire one of the Linux boxes up in the next week or 2.

Vester

USA team member
World Community Grid has not provided enough GPU tasks to keep my video card busy, so I am running Folding@home on the GPU. When WCG has GPU tasks, they (four) run concurrently with the FAH task. I can tell when WCG tasks are running concurrently by looking at the lower GPU temperature in MSI Afterburner. The GPU temperature is lower when running WCG.

Last edited:

Vester

USA team member
I was refurbishing my Nvidia Titan X this evening and broke a wire at the 4-pin connector for the GPU fan. A new fan is on the way.

I would attempt to repair the wire/connection, but this card has about 50 (no exaggeration) screws for disassembly/assembly. When it needs thermal paste again, I know how to do the job without removing so many screws.

Vester

USA team member
The fan for the video card will be here tomorrow (Saturday). I've already cut the thermal pads and cleaned everything. If the mail runs on time, it should be running by 2 PM. It is always a challenge to disassemble something and take a week off before finishing the job.

Vester

USA team member
The GPU is crunching again. I reseated the GPU and replaced the thermal pads.

Last edited:

Vester

USA team member
A new Bluetooth remote key for my 2017 Mazda 6 GT cost me $545.00 today. I knew where I lost it and would have dug through tons of limbs and leaves at the landfill to find it if I had known the price. On the brighter side, those were the only keys I have lost in my lifetime. I'll be 80 in February.