Folding@Home I'm Finally Back!

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Like I said elsewhere my GPUs have been idle the last couple months so I could fully support our WCG challenge efforts, which right now is CPU-only. I just checked our Folding stats expecting the floor to have dropped out, surprisingly we've been holding steady! Our overall rank has dropped quite a bit but monthly output isn't bad at all especially since a lot of us slow down during the summer. Now that the challenges are over I'm back in the folding game. Let's start moving up! :cool:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
We've moved up 15 spots in the last week. Unfortunately I'm running into the same problem I had before the summer shutdown; the client hangs sometimes when it's unable to download a new job. This bug has been around literally for years. There's not much you can do but keep an eye on it and restart the client when it's stuck for an extended period. :( I think there are efforts being made towards making the client open source, when that happens and more developers get involved hopefully this and other bugs will get exterminated. :cool:

RONNIE

USA team member
We are 916th team today, arent't we? How many team users are active in this project now?
Unfortunately there are no "F@H Challenges", right?

We've moved up 15 spots in the last week. Unfortunately I'm running into the same problem I had before the summer shutdown; the client hangs sometimes when it's unable to download a new job. This bug has been around literally for years. There's not much you can do but keep an eye on it and restart the client when it's stuck for an extended period. :( I think there are efforts being made towards making the client open source, when that happens and more developers get involved hopefully this and other bugs will get exterminated. :cool:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
We are 916th team today, arent't we? How many team users are active in this project now?
Unfortunately there are no "F@H Challenges", right?
Yes. If you scroll to the bottom of our Extreme OC stats page it lists the top members. We only have 9 active folders right now. Thanks to those who kept folding during the summer. :D

The FAH ecosystem isn't nearly as robust as BOINC, it's almost like the stats were added as an afterthought. There's really no team control other than creation, there's no team communication like BOINC has. If it weren't for the gracious EOC stats I wouldn't even be able to see who's active on the team now. It's just as well there aren't any challenges, we aren't competitive here...yet. :cool:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I had both clients get stuck trying to up/download work today. The client is buggy but I think a larger problem for me was a network issue. I spent some time working on that, I'm not calling it fixed but right now both machines are folding. :cool:

Vester

USA team member
Interestingly, my GPUs are not fully utilized if I run both FAH and Milkyway at the same time due to a bottle-neck. My Radeon HD 7990s are not particularly good at FAH and will return to MW as soon as eight FAH jobs finish.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I had both clients get stuck trying to up/download work today. The client is buggy but I think a larger problem for me was a network issue. I spent some time working on that, I'm not calling it fixed but right now both machines are folding. :cool:
Definitely not fixed. This affects the Nvidia machine much more than the AMD one, timeouts on the AMD are less frequent and shorter. It's unfortunate because my 2080 Ti isn't being used to its potential. It was running when I went to bed but I see by the log it's been idle for 10+! hours! It falls back to BOINC when there's no work, but still pretty frustrating.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Today I uninstalled the FAH client and installed the latest. So far so good, although based on history I'm not expecting it to run without hiccups forever. It's been running ok for the last few hours though. (y)

RONNIE

USA team member
Wonderful! I'm using this version too and have not seen any problem at all so far. But you'd better hurry, cause @BeauZaux and Thrius are trying hard to catch you! :D

My Intel GPU is not being used, the NVIDIA is at 50% and all eight CPUs at 100%. I think it's fine, right?

Do you think it's a good idea to mix it with a BOINC project and, if so, which one? At this moment, BOINC is not installed in this Windows 10 machine.

Thank you!

PS.: @doneske, have you consider using this software?

Today I uninstalled the FAH client and installed the latest. So far so good, although based on history I'm not expecting it to run without hiccups forever. It's been running ok for the last few hours though. (y)

BeauZaux

USA team member
I'm just trying to keep up with Thrius on FAH. ;)
Projects GPU capable, I only run on GPU's. I use my CPU's on projects with no GPU capability. Does that make sense?
I'm sad that a lot of projects I signed up for over just this past year have gone dormant.
:USA:

Last edited:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Wonderful! I'm using this version too and have not seen any problem at all so far. But you'd better hurry, cause @BeauZaux and Thrius are trying hard to catch you! :D

My Intel GPU is not being used, the NVIDIA is at 50% and all eight CPUs at 100%. I think it's fine, right?

Do you think it's a good idea to mix it with a BOINC project and, if so, which one? At this moment, BOINC is not installed in this Windows 10 machine.

Thank you!

PS.: @doneske, have you consider using this software?
I'd be delighted if someone caught me, that would mean the team is growing! (y)

Intel iGPU doesn't work on FAH, so it sounds like your system is maxed out. You should be seeing greater utilization on your Nvidia card though, if all 8 threads are crunching then the CPU probably is overtaxed and can't keep the GPU busy. I have and 8 thread CPU, I like to run 6 threads for CPU work, 1 for the GPU and keep one free for OS demands. You can tinker with the settings if you like and see what gives you the most output.

You can run FAH and BOINC on the same machine, although it's easier to run separately if possible. I covered how to do that here.

Doneske was one of the first folders we had and I appreciated his support. He's enjoying a well deserved rest from distributed computing now. :)

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I'm just trying to keep up with Thrius on FAH. ;)
Projects GPU capable, I only run on GPU's. I use my CPU's on projects with no GPU capability. Does that make sense?
I'm sad that a lot of projects I signed up for over just this past year have gone dormant.
:USA:
This is what I do too, unless there's some kind of challenge going on. What dormant projects were you on other than SETI?

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
24+ hours later everything is still running well. I had one minor problem, the new FAH client didn't pick up the previous config file for some reason so I had to change the slots. That caused FAH and BOINC, specifically GPUGrid to be running simultaneously on the same card. This worked better than you might think but is obviously not optimal. Now that it's fixed, output should be back up to normal tomorrow. :USA:

BeauZaux

USA team member
This is what I do too, unless there's some kind of challenge going on. What dormant projects were you on other than SETI?
I put a few credits on the board with IberCivis, LHC, and MindModeling. I'd like to have done some with RNA, iThena, NanoHub and VGTU. And I'm hoping Asteroid gets it's server fixed soon. I know I must be forgetting something. Maybe before I became BeauZaux.:woot:
UPDATE: Forgot Gaia and Wildlife...

Last edited:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Everything seems to be running ok, but the HFM.net program isn't connecting properly to the 2080 Ti host. I don't have a clue what's going on there, but I don't have accurate stat tracking so I can't say with certainty everything is working properly.

doneske

USA team member
Yes, I ran F@H for a while earlier this year. I have been a F@H contributor for over 10 years. It was a project I contributed to before running BOINC back in 2006 or so. Had an opportunity to attend a lecture by Vijay Pande at Rice University while my son was doing his Ph.D. work there in 2009. Believe it or not the room was full. People were standing along the wall. I was surprised so many attended. Since I don't run Windows, F@H is slightly more difficult for me. HFM.net is not available and I couldn't get FAHControl to work so I had to manage everything strictly using the config files. It worked, just a little more work.

BeauZaux

USA team member
My Dell (GTX 760) machine was crashing at an ever increasing frequency. Eliminate 90% of possible hardware causes. Only MB, CPU and OS left. So I switched back to Mint to eliminate the OS possibility. Now able to run GAIA. :)
Are there any NVIDIA GPU science projects for Linux only?
Hope eventually to replace the Dell quad core with one of the Xeon 6/12's I'm working on.
Giving my machines a break from FAH. I had not noticed until now that other BOINC GPU projects are running a little cooler than FAH. :unsure: