July - BOINCstats Team Challenge - GPUGrid

Billy Ewell 1931

USA team member
Great to hear! (y) Heat is a concern everywhere unless you happen to live at the poles. :D I would recommend the 1050 or 1050 Ti card, if you want to keep crunching GPUGrid. They're efficient and won't put out the heat like the big boys.

I don't know what projects you like best, but all of those cards should work on Einstein and SETI, and probably others too. GPUGrid just happens to be one of the more demanding projects. If you ever decide to upgrade just make sure your new card fits, sometimes those Dell and HP cases don't have much extra room.

There are plenty of projects that are CPU only, don't feel like you have to crunch GPU projects. :)

Decision Reversed Again: I purchased and placed in service two GTX 1060s last evening and obviously productivity jumped solidly as did the room temperatures. The previously mentioned GTX 550ti and GTX 750ti never downloaded a single task. The GTX660 is successful but requires over 20 hours to complete long units. Again thanks for the inputs and support.

Another casual comment: I will acquire a new DVI flip switch as the new cards do not permit crossover to the VGA from Digital; but no problem. Obviously my monitor permits both. Bill

DrBob

Administrator
USA team member
as the new cards do not permit crossover to the VGA from Digital
Yes, I ran into the same problem a few months back when I bought my GTX1050 cards. I ended up using DisplayPort to VGA adapters ( like this one ) so I could continue to use my old KVM switch.
Congratulations on the new 1060s. Nice upgrade! :)

CRUNCH ON!

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Decision Reversed Again: I purchased and placed in service two GTX 1060s last evening and obviously productivity jumped solidly as did the room temperatures. The previously mentioned GTX 550ti and GTX 750ti never downloaded a single task. The GTX660 is successful but requires over 20 hours to complete long units. Again thanks for the inputs and support.

Another casual comment: I will acquire a new DVI flip switch as the new cards do not permit crossover to the VGA from Digital; but no problem. Obviously my monitor permits both. Bill
Congrats! Those are good cards. I'm surprised the 750 Ti didn't get any work. :confused: If you're really concerned about heat I recommend installing MSI Afterburner and setting a temperature limit. I used to limit mine to 70, it helped quite a bit.

Billy Ewell 1931

USA team member
Congrats! Those are good cards. I'm surprised the 750 Ti didn't get any work. :confused: If you're really concerned about heat I recommend installing MSI Afterburner and setting a temperature limit. I used to limit mine to 70, it helped quite a bit.

Nick Name: Thanks for your comments; however I did not make clear that principally when I addressed the HEAT issue I should have said ROOM temp because with 4 GPUs and 18 CPUs running the bedroom converted to an office gets real uncomfortably warm; so far no problem on operating temps of the GPUs and CPUs. By the way, the i7 machine has always operated very hot and pushes the limit set by default.

What I did do during the course of the "challenge" is set the zoned bedroom HVAC to 76F and the circulating fan to continuous; even then the bedroom/office where the computers are located is now at 83F at 12:00 noon and an outside temp of mid-80sF. Bill

PS: NN, thanks for your Moderator work; deeply appreciated!

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Nick Name: Thanks for your comments; however I did not make clear that principally when I addressed the HEAT issue I should have said ROOM temp because with 4 GPUs and 18 CPUs running the bedroom converted to an office gets real uncomfortably warm; so far no problem on operating temps of the GPUs and CPUs. By the way, the i7 machine has always operated very hot and pushes the limit set by default.

What I did do during the course of the "challenge" is set the zoned bedroom HVAC to 76F and the circulating fan to continuous; even then the bedroom/office where the computers are located is now at 83F at 12:00 noon and an outside temp of mid-80sF. Bill

PS: NN, thanks for your Moderator work; deeply appreciated!
I understood you meant the room temp. Limiting the GPU temp also helps keep the room temp cooler too, although it's not as good as A/C. I also used that program to control fan speed, some of those fans can get terribly loud. Depending on what type of fans are on your cards that might not be a problem.

Thanks for your moderator comments, luckily I really haven't had too much actual work to do yet. :D