Projects where the team needs help

BeauZaux

USA team member
17 Sept 2020 "The researchers and the World Community Grid tech team are continuing their work to get the project working on GPU. "
Sooner rather than later I hope. :)

yochanon

USA team member
Hey gang, I've been a BOINC user for SETI@Home from ~2000 up until it closed down earlier this year. At present, I'm with the LHC thing on my single home computer (I build *only* my own systems so that I know *exactly* what components are actually in it so that I don't have to think about having generic garbage inside that could, and probably would, die within a year, etc).

I've seen that LHC has lots of participants for the USA team and is doing just fine, so I was wondering if there's something else I could actually join that I might be able to help a little more with than I'm doing for LHC.

Even though I've been using BOINC for 20 years, it doesn't mean I understand a thing about anything I join to work for (SETI being the simplest one I could find at the time, lol). I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and I'm fine with that. I do however want to keep helping somehow.

I am *NOT* interested in anything to do with the covid farce, nor HIV. I just read the thread here about QuChem, but am not sure what it's really doing (I read the website, but of course most of it went over my head faster than a speeding bullet, meh). I do have a sort of semi decent graphics card, old, but still not a bad one (Geforce GTX960) and was hoping maybe there's something out there that I can use it for on my Linux system.

So, here I am, asking for ideas. All I have is the BOINC installed on my system (Slackware 14.2 x86_64), so seeing some of the stuff in this page like WCG and such kinda is throwing me off - is that something 'separate' from BOINC that I'd need to install or is that a 'project' I can pick in the BOINC manager?

Sorry for all the ignorance, but I need slightly simpler answers than I've been able to find/get from reading the websites about this stuff, heh.

RONNIE

USA team member
First of all, you're very welcome, @yochanon ! WCG means "World Community Grid", a BOINC project supported by IBM. And now I will let the other team members answer the other questions.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Hey gang, I've been a BOINC user for SETI@Home from ~2000 up until it closed down earlier this year. At present, I'm with the LHC thing on my single home computer (I build *only* my own systems so that I know *exactly* what components are actually in it so that I don't have to think about having generic garbage inside that could, and probably would, die within a year, etc).

I've seen that LHC has lots of participants for the USA team and is doing just fine, so I was wondering if there's something else I could actually join that I might be able to help a little more with than I'm doing for LHC.

Even though I've been using BOINC for 20 years, it doesn't mean I understand a thing about anything I join to work for (SETI being the simplest one I could find at the time, lol). I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and I'm fine with that. I do however want to keep helping somehow.

I am *NOT* interested in anything to do with the covid farce, nor HIV. I just read the thread here about QuChem, but am not sure what it's really doing (I read the website, but of course most of it went over my head faster than a speeding bullet, meh). I do have a sort of semi decent graphics card, old, but still not a bad one (Geforce GTX960) and was hoping maybe there's something out there that I can use it for on my Linux system.

So, here I am, asking for ideas. All I have is the BOINC installed on my system (Slackware 14.2 x86_64), so seeing some of the stuff in this page like WCG and such kinda is throwing me off - is that something 'separate' from BOINC that I'd need to install or is that a 'project' I can pick in the BOINC manager?

Sorry for all the ignorance, but I need slightly simpler answers than I've been able to find/get from reading the websites about this stuff, heh.
Welcome to the forum, great to have you here! First, let's clarify the difference between BOINC and the projects.
  • BOINC is the software that handles work scheduling, downloads and uploads, and project management (attaching, detaching, task control etc.) It doesn't do any work by itself and is useless unless attached to a project.
  • Projects create and send the applications doing the work. There are a lot of projects: SETI, LHC and WCG are examples. There many more, check out this page for a list.
  • Projects usually have multiple applications, like CPU and GPU apps, and in some cases may also have sub projects. PrimeGrid is doing research into prime numbers and has multiple apps as they're looking for primes with various properties. WCG has several sub projects which you can look at here, research is being done on cancer, tuberculosis and other things.
  • You attach to the project(s) with BOINC, and then if the project has sub-projects you pick those from your project preferences on the project website.
I think the beauty of BOINC is that you can help scientists doing research even if you don't have much of a clue what exactly they're doing. :LOL: I understand in very general terms what QuChem is doing, molecular research, with a long term goal of being able to train neural networks. It's the only project of its kind as far as I know that's using BOINC, so that alone makes it interesting to me.

The projects mentioned in this thread are projects where we don't have a very high rank, or didn't at the time I started the thread. That's entirely based on credit, it's important to some and not important at all to others. I'd like to see our team in the top 20 on all projects, but I encourage everyone to run projects they think are worthwhile.

If you want to start using your GPU, we have a strong presence on GPUGrid. That card is at the low end to run that work efficiently though. If you want max credit check out Collatz and Primegrid. Einstein is a good project as well.

yochanon

USA team member
Okay gang, I went ahead and joined the CuChemPedIA@home. It showed only 5 USA team members and only two active and one of those two very little at that. I've got us in one day that I remembered to check (yesterday) from 65 to 43 in the 'teams' line-up. I won't know for probably a few more days when my system will top out at number-crunching and flatten out finally, but hopefully it'll get us up another notch or two in the competition and keep us wherever it is we get to, heh.

Thanks for all the suggestions and such!

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Okay gang, I went ahead and joined the CuChemPedIA@home. It showed only 5 USA team members and only two active and one of those two very little at that. I've got us in one day that I remembered to check (yesterday) from 65 to 43 in the 'teams' line-up. I won't know for probably a few more days when my system will top out at number-crunching and flatten out finally, but hopefully it'll get us up another notch or two in the competition and keep us wherever it is we get to, heh.

Thanks for all the suggestions and such!
Awesome, great to have another cruncher in the ranks. I'll be back on this project when we get through these WCG challenges. Make sure you've installed the VirtualBox software if you're running Windows. You don't need it for Linux.