SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2019

Terminator

Logo2016.png

SETI.Germany invite BOINC team USA to the SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2019. It takes place from 15th August, 16.00 UTC, until 29th August 2019, 16.00 UTC.

We cordially ask all team leaders to forward the invitation to their team. Information about the Wow!-Race 2019 and a registration form can be found here: https://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/register/en .

SETI.Germany wishes you and your team members much fun with the Wow!-Event 2019.

Best regards
Terminator
SETI.Germany

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
This is a different type of event. Usually being on the team is all you need to do, but individual registration is required for your stats to count in this one.

You will need to log into your SETI account to get your name and account ID. These are found under Account Information when you log in.

Vester

USA team member
Registered and running three CPU cores.

Edit addition: I had not run Set@home before and now see that it uses GPUs as well. I was expecting to run CPU only, but I will do the best I can. I have chosen to "Suspend" Milkyway until this challenge is over. I am running two tasks per GPU (6) on B250MiningExpert with three Radeon HD 7990s. Watch out for my mighty Intel HD 630 graphics, too!

Last edited:

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
The nice thing about the AMD cards is OpenCL needs little CPU support compared to Nvidia, which requires an entire thread. This is a design choice by Nvidia. :rolleyes: You shouldn't have any problem keeping all four (or six, depending what you're doing) GPUs fed even with the CPU work. I've never crunched with an Intel iGPU, from what I've read on some projects it can actually lower output, because it can really slow down CPU crunching since it shares RAM. It might impact the AMD work too but no way to know for sure until you try it.:D

Vester

USA team member
And now we are 33!

I am running with 540 tasks in the category validation pending. What happens at the end of the Wow! event? Do I get credit for them, or should one start running the challenges a few days before the events begin?

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
599 isn't really that many, I have 2724 pending at the time of this post. :D Most of those are from the Linux special sauce app. The big crunchers probably have many many more. In the past I've had work continue to validate weeks after the event.

Our overall rank seems pretty much set, we can't move up unless we get a real influx of power or teams ahead lose theirs. I'm going to crunch to the end, or close to it. I hoped to get around 2 million on the board, doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Vester

USA team member
I am running Seti until the queue is empty. I am almost out of the top ten at MilkyWay after a week of "coasting."