** UPDATE ** USA is 10th in World (RAC) - Einstein@home!

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
Let me run down some of the queue. :cool:

[edit] It's been awhile since I've crunched anything here. What are the more productive GPU apps or does it make a difference? [/edit]

Last edited:

Gandolph1

USA team member
I only crunch GPU for Einstein, The CPU tasks take too long, and only yield approx 600 credits each, whereas the GPU tasks I am doing in 2 minutes and they yield 3400 credits per. Just go into the Einstein preferences section and deselect everything but the two GPU Apps. Save your CPU for something that really needs the CPU.. I run Rosetta on my CPU and Einstein on my GPU's..

Gandolph1

USA team member
If we can get some more processing power we should be able to move out of 10th and at least secure 9th place... We're close now.

doneske

USA team member
Let me see if there is something I can add to the cause. It will be CPU only though. I shutdown my "data center" in September and moved to a new location. GPU system is packed up. I'm running a skeleton set of systems until I can build a new "data center" but that won't be for at least a year maybe 18 months.

Gandolph1

USA team member
As you know every bit helps, but I gotta tell you the credits Einstein awards for CPU tasks is so small compared to the run time, I wont do them unless there's nothing else...

doneske

USA team member
OK.. I added 64 CPU threads. That is all I have available at the moment. I was only using 64 of the 128 threads on the server so I didn't have to stop anything else to make those available. If it doesn't help that much, I'll drain them down and detach

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I only crunch GPU for Einstein, The CPU tasks take too long, and only yield approx 600 credits each, whereas the GPU tasks I am doing in 2 minutes and they yield 3400 credits per. Just go into the Einstein preferences section and deselect everything but the two GPU Apps. Save your CPU for something that really needs the CPU.. I run Rosetta on my CPU and Einstein on my GPU's..
My preference is also to run projects with a GPU app strictly on the GPU, unless there's something special like a competition.

There are at least 4 GPU applications available in the preferences although it's not easy to determine what work is currently on the server because the preference/app naming doesn't match exactly. The GW (Gravity Wave) apps may be the most interesting in terms of the science, but they appear to run twice as long for 1/3 of the credit. This is obviously not what you want for maximum credit output, which is the current goal as we're trying to move up the RAC rank. It looks to me like you should select Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo, GPU) and Gamma-ray pulsar binary search #1 (GPU). Unfortunately the server sent me over 200 O3 Gravitational Wave tasks before I figured this out. I'm not going to abort them but it will take several hours to run them out. I don't know if the same applies to CPU apps or not.

Gandolph1

USA team member
I de-selected "Gravitational Wave search O2 Multi-Directional GPU" because they take approx 2 to 3 times as long on the GPU which wouldnt bother me except they then hang at 99% for hours not doing anything then sometimes they actually complete, other times you will have to abort them. So I'm not going to waste my power on them. (I tried them again yesterday and the very first task did the hang thing for over 10 minutes before I aborted it - Not worth it.)

doneske

USA team member
Seems like the only CPU work is the FGRP5. I have returned 64 tasks but only 12 have validated so far. Each took about 12 hours to crunch. I keep running them for a while but it looks like I may end up with a huge (maybe several hundreds) backlog of tasks awaiting validation. Looking at the stats, it looks like once we reach the #9 slot it would only take another 500,000 to reach #8.

Gandolph1

USA team member
We are closing in on #9, unfortunately my PC parts are arriving tomorrow so my 3080TI will be offline for a bit either Monday or Tuesday.

Gandolph1

USA team member
I can see them change every time I force my PC to update the project and return a stack of completed tasks so I would say they are updating at least whenever your PC returns tasks...

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I de-selected "Gravitational Wave search O2 Multi-Directional GPU" because they take approx 2 to 3 times as long on the GPU which wouldnt bother me except they then hang at 99% for hours not doing anything then sometimes they actually complete, other times you will have to abort them. So I'm not going to waste my power on them. (I tried them again yesterday and the very first task did the hang thing for over 10 minutes before I aborted it - Not worth it.)
I had that selected along with GWO3 but I only got the latter. GWO3 doesn't have a GPU selection in the preferences but there is a GPU app for it. They are running ok for me (Linux) but run over 7 minutes and pay 1000. I expect GWO2 is about the same. Gamma-ray Pulsar #1 (FGRPopencl2) runs just over 4 minutes on the Windoze box and pays 3000+ so that's where the action is.

The rest of the GW should run out tonight and then I can start making some hay. I'm going to push this on the Twitter as well. :cool:

doneske

USA team member
Looks to me like Einstein has turned into a GPU only project (mostly). I have everything selected but only get FGRP5. I guess the Arecibo app is CPU but only for ARM type devices. In the last 24 hours, I have returned about 180 WUs but 110 are awaiting validation. I'll continue until the backlog (awaiting validation) reaches about 500 to 1000 and then stop. If it only validates at a given rate, then that would seem to limit the RAC available to me. (Y x 693)/hour=RAC where Y is the number validated and fixed within a narrow range. Therefore, I don't know how much I'm actually helping the team. I don't think it is a project issue but more due to the return rate from CPU devices. At least after I stop they will continue to validate for a while and continue to provide points.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
It looks like I should have just aborted the GW tasks as a good chunk of those are Invalid and I still have quite few pending. I have a few FGRP tasks coming up Invalid on the Windoze box, right now it's under 2% so it's annoying but not a show stopper. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse. So far they have all validated on the Linux box.

Gandolph1

USA team member
I haven't looked to see what percentage of mine are coming up Invalid but it doesn't seem to be any more than usual. FYI we are getting much closer to Ninth Place!

9 Planet 3DNow! 13,442,457.93 12,375,650,272 Germany 1,081
10 USA 12,721,144.53 10,592,614,971 United States 2,251

doneske

USA team member
I have about 280 awaiting validation now and it seems to be holding reasonably steady. I just added a wisdom file to see if I can get a better return rate. It will probably take a day or so to get an idea if it made a significant difference. RAC is still climbing.