WCG Beta Testing GPU Work

Vester

USA team member
Will be on it soon.

Edit: I caught a few work units. The were very short and have not yet been validated. WCG shows computation time in hours, so they need to record seconds instead!

Last edited:

doneske

USA team member
During the initial beta test they were issuing batches of the same size as CPU batches. Uplinger added some larger batches and I assume those will be the ones distributed when they go production. I don't believe the batch sizes have been settled yet. I haven't been a big GPU user over the years but was able to acquire a Radeon Pro W5500 so I guess I'll install it and see what happens. I haven't tried installing GPU drivers on Centos yet so this will be a first for me. I decommissioned 4 servers and have been in discussion with Luckasz at iThena about shipping them to him. Once we get past this deep freeze that should pick up again.

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
I think these are the correct settings to only get GPU tasks, although I haven't gotten any yet.

Make sure Beta tasks are enabled for the desired profile(s). I'm just using School.
Beta_tasks.png
Set your GPU preferences under My Projects -> Device Profiles. Allow CPU tasks as well, or not in my case, and enable the appropriate GPU type for your hardware.

GPU_settings.png

Vester

USA team member
I didn't have much time to observe performance when GPU work was available. I am running CPU tasks while waiting for GPU Beta work, but I have an app_config.xml file and CPU work units are limited when GPU work is running. Here is the text I am using for a single GPU on a quad core CPU.
Code:
<app_config>
<app>
<name>beta29</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.25</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

Nick Name

Administrator
USA team member
For those new to the app_config, it only controls BOINC scheduling. The CPU and GPU will use whatever resources they need regardless of what's set here. This will keep a thread free for GPU processing though. (y)